Vegetarian Patties (Empanadas Vegetarianas)
By June 10, 2013Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
- Ready In: 45 mins
- 2 1/3 cups flour all-purpose + dusting
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/2 pound butter unsalted
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 sweet green bell pepper chopped
- 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese sliced
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 8 ounces baby spinach coarsely chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped in small pieces
- 1 pound mushrooms chopped
- 1 small can corn kernels
- 1/2 bunch kale greens coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the filling: In a large suté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, Add all veggies, season with salt and cook just 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- For the dough: In a large bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer at medium speed, about 3-4 minutes. Add flour and salt and mix for 2 more minutes.
- Form the dough until smooth and elastic and wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate for at least 15 minutes (if you desire overnight)
- Preheat the oven to 375F, and butter baking sheets. Sprinkle flour over a countertop and divide the dough in small balls and roll out with your hands, make rounds from 4 to 5 inches in diameter, and repeat one at a time.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons of veggies and cheese and place them into the center of each dough, brush the edges with the beaten eggs, fold them in half like a half-moon, and seal the edges with a fork. Brush over the top of the patties with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Place the patties on the baking sheets, and bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Serve at room temperature.